Built in 1880 by Mr. Schafer, the original house was sturdily built of eighteen inch thick adobe walls. The home was composed of four main rooms with a large hall through the center. A porch ran along the length of the front of the house and there was a fireplace in each of the four rooms to provide heat. A separate structure including a kitchen and dining room was built later and attached to the main home.
The deep windows were barricaded with trunks and the lamps were out during "Indian Scares." The younger family members recall the long nights of waiting with family members and neighbors when the Indians were reported near.
Mary Riggs wrote in her diary about the earthquake in 1887:
In later years one of the front rooms served as a Territorial Post Office -- Brannick, Arizona Terrirory. The mail brought out from Willcox was distributed to neighbors by Brannick Riggs and other family members.
Within those sturdy walls over the years were joyful and sad occasions. They witnessed weddings, births, deaths and funerals: and it was here that Brannick died in 1907 and Mary in 1935.